Did you know 4 out of 5 remote workers would recommend virtual work to a friend? Whether you’re considering this lifestyle or sharing recommendations with your friends, we’ve compiled a curated list of MUST-HAVE remote work tools. Delve into these 25 tools for remote work, meticulously chosen to streamline your life and boost efficiency.
Essential Tools for Remote Work
The workforce has undergone significant changes, and remote work has become increasingly popular. Using essential tools for remote work ensures employees stay productive and connected to their colleagues and clients. Remote work tools include remote work software and various other tools for remote work, allowing employees to work efficiently and maintain their focus.
Communication tools, project management, and collaboration tools are vital for remote work, ensuring that work doesn’t fall behind and deadlines are met. With the right tools for remote work, companies can maintain productivity and efficiency while ensuring their employees can work comfortably and easily from their remote locations.
Here is an essential category of remote work tools you need:
- Communication Tools
- Project Management and Collaboration Tools
- Productivity Tools
- File Sharing and Storage Tools
- Time Management Tools
- Security and Password Management Tools
- Task Management Tools
- Note-taking and Organization Tools
20 Best Remote Work Software
There are several tools for remote work available on the market, but finding the best one is vital to creating a productive remote work culture. From productivity monitoring tools to project management and communication tools, we have compiled the top remote work software of every virtual employee’s dreams!
6 Important Communication Tools for Virtual Offices
Video conferencing allows teams to hold face-to-face meetings and collaborate on projects in real time, providing a more personal touch that can often get lost in remote jobs. Meanwhile, messaging tools provide a more informal way to communicate and share updates throughout the day. Whether your team is spread across the globe or just a few cities away, having the right tools for remote work is crucial for success.
Here are examples:
A. Video Conferencing
- Zoom: Zoom is a popular video conferencing platform that allows individuals and teams to connect and collaborate remotely. It offers features such as high-definition video and audio, screen sharing, virtual backgrounds, and chat functionality. Zoom also provides options for scheduling and hosting meetings, webinars, and virtual events with participants from around the world.
- Microsoft Teams: Microsoft Teams is a comprehensive communication and collaboration platform that includes video conferencing and chat features. It allows users to create and join meetings, make audio and video calls, share screens and files, text, and collaborate in real time. Teams integrates seamlessly with other Microsoft applications like Outlook, SharePoint, and OneDrive, offering a centralized hub for remote work communication and collaboration.
- Google Meet: Google Meet is a video conferencing solution offered by Google. It enables users to host and join video meetings with colleagues, clients, or external partners. Google Meet provides features such as screen sharing, chat functionality, and the ability to schedule and join meetings directly from Google Calendar. It integrates with other Google Workspace applications, making it convenient for collaboration and communication within the Google ecosystem.
- Slack: Slack is a popular messaging platform designed for teams to communicate and collaborate in real-time. It offers channels for organizing conversations based on different topics or projects, direct messaging for one-on-one communication, and the ability to share files, documents, and links. Slack also integrates with various third-party applications and services, allowing teams to centralize their workflows and access important information within the platform.
- Google Chat: Google Chat is a messaging tool that is part of the Google Workspace suite. It provides users with the ability to send direct messages or create group chats with their colleagues. Google Chat offers features like threaded conversations, file sharing, and integration with other Google Workspace applications. It also supports the use of bots and integrations to automate tasks and enhance productivity.
- Discord: While primarily known as a platform for gamers, Discord has gained popularity as a messaging tool for remote work teams as well. It allows users to create servers and channels for different topics, making it easy to organize conversations. Discord offers features like voice and video chat, direct messaging, and the ability to share files and media. It also supports integrations with other applications and services to enhance collaboration.
5 Vital Collaboration and Project Management Tools
These tools simplify the remote work experience, make it easier to stay connected and productive, and allow teams to achieve their goals regardless of where they are in the world. With a wide range of tools for remote work available on the market, it’s critical to choose tools that suit the nature of your business and the needs of your team.
- Asana: Asana is a popular remote work software that enables teams to collaborate and manage projects efficiently. It offers a user-friendly interface where team members can create tasks, assign them to individuals or teams, set due dates, and track progress. Asana provides a comprehensive overview of project timelines, task dependencies, and team workload, ensuring everyone stays organized and on track. It also offers features like file attachments, comments, and notifications to facilitate seamless communication and collaboration.
- Trello: Trello is a visual collaboration tool that allows teams to manage projects and tasks using boards, lists, and cards. With Trello, you can create boards for different projects or workflows, add lists to represent stages of work, and create cards to represent individual tasks. Team members can move cards across lists to indicate progress and collaborate by adding comments, attachments, and due dates to cards. Trello’s flexible and intuitive interface makes it easy to visualize and track project progress, making it a popular choice for remote teams.
- Monday.com: Monday.com is a versatile remote work software that offers a suite of products designed to enhance team productivity and collaboration. It provides a customizable work management platform where teams can manage projects, tasks, and workflows. Monday.com allows you to create boards, set up custom workflows, and track progress visually. It also offers features like automation, integrations, and dashboards to streamline processes and provide real-time insights. With its user-friendly interface and extensive capabilities, Monday.com is suitable for teams of all sizes and industries.
- Jira: Jira is a powerful project management tool primarily used by software development teams. It enables remote teams to plan, track, and manage their work efficiently. Jira allows you to create and manage issues, track tasks and bugs, set priorities, and assign them to team members. It offers customizable workflows, advanced reporting, and integration capabilities to optimize project management processes. Jira’s flexibility and adaptability make it suitable for Agile and Scrum methodologies, making it a popular choice for software development and IT teams.
- Microsoft Planner: Microsoft Planner is a remote work software that integrates seamlessly with the Microsoft 365 ecosystem. It provides a simple and visual way for teams to organize tasks, create plans, and collaborate. With Planner, you can create tasks, assign them to team members, set due dates, and track progress using boards and cards. It offers features like file attachments, comments, and notifications to facilitate collaboration within the Microsoft 365 suite. Planner is particularly beneficial for teams already using Microsoft tools, as it integrates well with other Microsoft applications like Teams, Outlook, and SharePoint.
3 Top Remote Work Software for File Sharing and Storage
When it comes to cloud storage and file sharing solutions, there are several popular options available, including Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive. Each of these platforms offers reliable and secure storage services, allowing you to store, access, and share your files from anywhere.
- Google Drive: Google Drive is a cloud storage service provided by Google. It offers a generous amount of free storage space and provides seamless integration with other Google services such as Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides. With Google Drive, you can easily create, edit, and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations in real time. It also offers advanced sharing and permission settings, making it easy to collaborate with colleagues or share files with clients and partners.
- Dropbox: Dropbox is a widely used cloud storage and file synchronization service. With Dropbox, you can store your files securely in the cloud and access them from any device. It offers a user-friendly interface and provides features like file syncing, file sharing, and collaboration. Dropbox integrates with various applications and platforms, making it easy to work with your files across different tools. It also offers advanced security features such as two-factor authentication and encryption to ensure the safety of your files.
- OneDrive: OneDrive is Microsoft’s cloud storage service that seamlessly integrates with their suite of productivity tools, including Microsoft Office. It provides convenient access to your files from any device and allows you to collaborate on documents in real time. OneDrive offers different storage plans, including a generous amount of free storage for Microsoft account holders. It also provides features like file sharing, versioning, and offline access to your files. With its integration with Microsoft Office, you can easily create, edit, and share documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
3 Crucial Time-Tracking and Productivity Monitoring Tools
Time tracking and productivity monitoring tools are essential for any remote team, ensuring accountability, timely delivery of projects, and peak productivity.
Here are three popular options to streamline workflow, optimize time management, and help boost team morale and output:
- Toggl: Toggl is a simple and intuitive time-tracking tool that allows you to track the time you spend on different tasks and projects. It provides a user-friendly interface and offers features like manual time entry, timer-based tracking, and detailed reports. Toggl also allows you to categorize your time entries, set billable rates, and generate invoices based on your tracked time. With Toggl, you can gain insights into how you spend your time and identify areas for improvement in your productivity.
- RescueTime: RescueTime is a time management and productivity tool that helps you understand how you spend your time on your digital devices. It runs in the background and tracks the applications and websites you use, providing you with detailed reports and insights on your daily activities. RescueTime categorizes your activities into productive and unproductive time, allowing you to identify time-wasting habits and make adjustments to improve your focus and productivity. It also offers features like goal setting, alerts, and focus time to help you stay on track and minimize distractions.
- Clockify: Clockify is a free time tracking tool that offers simplicity and versatility. It allows you to track time spent on tasks and projects, create timesheets, and generate reports. Clockify provides a user-friendly interface and integrates with various project management and collaboration tools. It also offers features like team time tracking, billable rates, and project budgets. With Clockify, you can gain insights into your time usage, monitor project progress, and optimize your time management.
3 Cybersecurity Tools to Protect Your Remote Work Software
Cybersecurity threats pose a real risk to organizations, and you need remote work software that can protect your data and ensure secure communication.
Fortunately, there are several tools for remote work that can help enhance the security of your organization, such as:
- LastPass (Password Manager): LastPass is a popular password manager that helps you securely store and manage your passwords. It allows you to create strong and unique passwords for each of your online accounts, eliminating the need to remember multiple passwords. LastPass encrypts your passwords and securely syncs them across all your devices. It also offers features like password autofill, secure password sharing, and digital wallet integration for convenient online transactions. With LastPass, you can enhance your online security and protect your sensitive information.
- McAfee or Norton (Antivirus): Both McAfee and Norton are well-known antivirus software providers that offer comprehensive protection against malware, viruses, and other online threats. These antivirus solutions provide real-time scanning, threat detection, and removal capabilities to safeguard your devices and data. They also offer features like firewall protection, safe web browsing, and identity theft protection. With McAfee or Norton installed on your devices, you can ensure that your digital environment is secure and protected from various cyber threats.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is an additional layer of security that adds an extra step to the login process of your online accounts. It requires you to provide a second authentication factor, usually a unique code or a biometric verification, along with your password. This adds an extra level of protection as even if your password is compromised, the hacker would still need to have access to the second factor to gain entry into your account. Many online platforms and services offer 2FA as an option to enhance the security of your accounts. By enabling 2FA, you significantly reduce the risk of unauthorized access to your accounts and protect your sensitive information from being compromised. It is highly recommended to enable 2FA for all your important online accounts to ensure maximum security.
Home Office Essentials for Remote Workers
To be successful, remote workers need to create a productive and comfortable workspace to maintain focus and achieve their goals. This is where home office essentials come into play. Whether you are an expert or just looking to jumpstart your online career, discover the must-have tools for your home office that will help you stay organized, focused, and productive.
When creating a comfortable workspace, invest in ergonomic furniture like an office chair with adjustable features, lumbar support, and armrests, an adjustable standing desk for sitting and standing positions, an ergonomic keyboard and mouse to reduce strain, and a monitor stand for optimal viewing angles.
External Monitors and Accessories
Enhance productivity with external monitors, a laptop stand or dock for better laptop positioning and connectivity, an external keyboard and mouse for comfortable use, and cable management solutions to keep your workspace organized.
Headset or Earphones
Ensure clear communication and focused work with a headset or earphones featuring a microphone, noise-canceling capabilities for a distraction-free environment, and compatibility with various devices.
Keep your workspace organized with essential office supplies such as writing instruments, sticky notes, notepads, a desk organizer, filing and storage solutions for documents, and a printer with necessary supplies for efficient printing.
Remote work tools and software help to maintain productivity and efficiency outside of traditional office settings. While remote work offers many benefits, including flexibility and autonomy, adapting to remote work technologies can be a challenging transition. By utilizing these tools, you can easily communicate and collaborate with your team members, access important documents and files, and attend virtual meetings from the comfort of your own home.
Maximizing productivity in a virtual environment ultimately comes down to finding the right remote work software. Whether it’s project management software, video conferencing platforms, or communication apps, there’s no shortage of tools for remote work available. However, with an abundance of tools for remote work available on the market, it can be overwhelming to select the best ones to suit your specific needs. Prioritize the tools listed in this article, and you can continue to work effectively while navigating remote work.