Entertainment

Australian man nearly dies after shark bites leg – just inches from major artery



An Australian teenager nearly died after a shark bit him on the leg, narrowly missing his femoral artery.

Sixteen-year-old Julian McLennan was surfing on Christmas afternoon when he was attacked by the beast.

“I was sitting in the back surfing and going through the waves and I felt like someone grabbed me,” McLennan told Nine News“I looked to my right and saw a huge fin sticking out of the water, like a shark’s body.”

The boy immediately started paddling toward the shore, unsure if he still had legs.

He said he yelled to his friend Alex Tobin to let him know what was going on.

“I was absolutely terrified,” he told local media.

The quick-thinking friend paddled to shore and grabbed his shirt to use as a tourniquet.

After arriving at a safe location, the two called their friend Will Anderson, who was sitting in the parking lot.

Julian McLennan, 16, was surfing on Christmas Day when he was bitten on the leg by a shark while sitting on the back of his board around 4:30 p.m.
They later discovered that McLennan’s femoral artery had been bitten several centimeters, which may have caused him to bleed excessively.

“At first, I didn’t believe him,” Anderson told the outlet. “I was thinking, ‘Oh, yeah.’ But that wasn’t the case. It was just the panic in his voice that set off alarm bells in my head.”

The three people got into the car and drove to the hospital, fearing that it would take too long for the ambulance to arrive.

“I didn’t know how serious the bite was, I just wanted to stay safe and take action as quickly as possible,” Anderson said.

The 16-year-old thanked his surfboard for saving his life after the bite left most of his body intact. The bite was visible on one of the back fins of his surfboard. 9 news
Once McLennan got ashore, he and two friends would pile into a car and drive to the hospital. 9 news

They later discovered that McLennan had been bitten several inches into his femoral artery, which may have caused him to bleed out.

The 16-year-old surfer thanked his surfboard for saving his life as it took away most of the bite. Horrifying photos show bite marks on one of the surfboard’s back fins.

“If my surfboard didn’t have fins, it might have taken my leg away,” he told 9News.

Despite his near-death experience, McLennan said he won’t leave the water forever, although he is now resting.

“I’m still a little shocked, but you know, we’ll get there,” he said.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button